The Recovery Allotment In Leamington
The Recovery Partnership in Leamington have an exciting Allotment Project and YOU can get involved!
As part of our treatment options at The Recovery Partnership in Leamington Spa, we have an exciting new opportunity to have fun and change your life, fronted by Recovery Worker Vicky. Our allotment is now open for business and will gladly accommodate clients as part of their recovery journey to engage in social and therapeutic horticulture.
Gardening is a wonderfully flexible medium that can transform lives and The Recovery Partnership in Leamington sees first hand how gardening can help everyone, regardless of age or disability.
Social and therapeutic horticulture is the process of using plants and gardens to improve physical and mental health, as well as communication and thinking skills. It also uses the garden as a safe and secure place to develop someone’s ability to mix socially, make friends and learn practical skills that will help them to be more independent.
Using gardening tasks and the allotment itself, The Recovery Partnership Allotment Team builds a set of activities for each gardener to improve their particular health needs, and to work on certain goals they want to achieve.
The benefits of a sustained and active interest in gardening include:
- Better physical health through exercise and learning how to use or strengthen muscles to improve mobility
- Improved mental health through a sense of purpose and achievement
- The opportunity to connect with others – reducing feelings of isolation or exclusion
- Acquiring new skills to improve the chances of finding employment
- Just feeling better for being outside, in touch with nature and in the ‘great outdoors’
The diagram shows the many benefits of social and therapeutic horticulture with overall health and wellbeing.
Talk to your Key-Worker today about joining the Allotment programme with The Recovery Partnership in Leamington Spa.